Thursday, August 19, 2004

 

Mysterious Illness Strikes Dr. C.

Yes, it's true. It is my last week of freedom and I've been under the weather for the past two days. This bitch-slap from the universe strikes me as similar to the one that makes me sick immediately upon submitting my final grades after fall semester just in time for Christmas. According to my symptoms, I believe I am suffering from one of the following:
  1. the ague
  2. malaria
  3. yellow fever
  4. the vapours.

(As you can see, during my illness I've given myself permission to read these books that are based on the life of Josephine Bonaparte that I got for my birthday, and thus all of my potential illnesses are 18th/19th century ones. Thankfully I do not have small pox.)

In other news, there isn't much other news. Freud called me on Monday, and we actually had a really good conversation. It occurs to me that he may not be a psychotic weirdo but rather may just be a weirdo around people. I seem to recall him being one who told me that he is "socially awkward" (and not the first one, because I attract the socially awkward set - because they want to feed off of my generally sunny and outgoing disposition, I think). In addition, I think that I may make him feel more awkward than he generally would feel.

So anyway, I had to get off the phone with him because my friend Stella was having an emergency, and he had already gone to bed (I think) when I called back. I left a message, but he has not called in two days. I think that Freud may be feeling like I don't like him, but it's not that. It's just that I'm not in like with him. I don't know. Maybe it's just hard to be in like with somebody whose research is all about motor skills. I just can't figure out why the movement of one's arm when one reaches for her cup of coffee is interesting. I know, I'm being anti-intellectual, but until he explains to me why the fuck what he's doing matters (and I've tried to make him and have yet to be convinced) I just can't get it up for him in any non-lame sort of a way. I may think that Dr. Earnest is annoying with his attempts to make his research/teaching "activist", but I do think that what he's doing is interesting and that his passion for it is clear.

Well, folks, I've got like 400 things on my list of things to do so I feel like I should do some of them. I know, I've become boring during my illness, and work only makes me more boring. I may call Freud tonight and ask him to hang out, if only to have some material for the blog.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?