Tuesday, August 10, 2004

 

My Less Frivolous Pursuits

It strikes me that I should probably balance my last post with the other things I've been doing (partly as a way of not doing the things that I need to do this afternoon).

I got solid versions (though they still need some tweaking) of my syllabi done. I'm a little anxious about the start of the semester, as I'm teaching one class I've never taught before and have made some fairly substantial changes to the other two. I know I shouldn't worry about it - there's nothing I can really do until the semester is underway, but I have a problem with trying to anticipate the worst so that I can avoid it, which generally results in me being freaked out for absolutely no reason.

I've started looking over my reappointment/tenure crap that is due in September (I hate that we have to do this every year - there are much better uses of my time, I'm sure, than this bureaucratic nonsense).

I've been doing a lot of thinking about that chapter I'm supposed to finish by the end of the month. I think if I can make myself sit down and write it I could be done with it (or a version of it) in about a week, but I don't feel like writing. That sucks.

I've also been reading a ton. I should probably post a list of everything I've read this summer, but I honestly don't remember all of it. I know that in the past two weeks alone I have read:

Valley of the Dolls, The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Girl with a Pearl Earring, and The Devil Wears Prada.

And I think I might be forgetting something. It is not normal for people to read this much. I'm fully aware of that. But, as I do lead a life of the mind, I suspect it's ok for me to read an abnormal amount. In fact, it probably is a good thing. Especially since all pleasure-reading will fall by the wayside in just a few weeks. I hate school. It is stupid.

And, folks, with that really intelligent analysis, I will leave you for the day. Because, in spite of myself, I have to force myself to write. As a reward, I shall drink wine and call my best friend from high school on the phone this evening, and after that I will watch Nip/Tuck. Yes. This is part of getting back into the groove of things. No more craziness with boys. It is a terribly stupid waste of my time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?