Friday, August 20, 2004

 

My Last Friday of Freedom

Well, my semester begins next week, my cold is gone, and I've got about a thousand things I should, but won't, accomplish between now and Monday. Happily, my syllabi that need to be done and copied are done (I've got one syllabus still in need of tweaking for my grad class I'm teaching, but it only has six students and doesn't meet until Thursday, so I feel justified in procrastinating) and my information sheet thingies that I give my students are done.

Today, I went shopping for school supplies (yay! I love school supplies!) and I'm busy avoiding going to a faculty picnic that's going on right now. It's my last day of freedom, dammit, and I'm going to do what I feel like doing. Picnics are lame. I probably should haul my ass over to the convocation at 1, though... though I really don't want to. You know, I love scholarship and teaching, but I hate "visibility" and "service."

Speaking of service, I've asked to be on the dept. curriculum committee this year. I suspect that I will not be on this committee, even though it is my first choice, because the junta that currently controls it wants to stay in control and I'm linked with their adversaries, who believe in things like making every course in the catalog count as more than just an elective (fancy that). Anyway, I'll keep you posted on where they throw me. Last year I got stuck on the "events" committee, which only had one meeting and for which I did absolutely nothing. On the one hand, awesome, but in terms of tenure/promotion? Not exactly the best committee to be on.

So, as you all can see, I did not call Freud last night to service the blog. I think I may do this at some point this weekend, as I will disappear from this silly intrigue once my semester begins into the oblivion that is teaching. I kind of want to call him up tonight, but the problem with that is that I think I said I'd be up for playing cards with some of my colleague-friends. The truth of it is, playing cards sounds kind of lame, but Dr. E. will probably be there if it happens, so that could make it more fun. Hmmm. Will have to see about that.

So, here is my plan for the rest of the day:
  1. Go home.
  2. Put together new tv stand thingie.
  3. Do laundry.
  4. Shower (including the massive body-hair-removal/exfoliating/etc., as if I will be getting laid this weekend, though I probably won't, as no one loves me, not even creepy Freud).
  5. Wait pathetically for the phone to ring.
  6. Have a glass of wine.
  7. If no one calls, call one of the following: A) Freud, B) my friend Naomi, C) Dr. E.

I refuse to stay home alone on the last damned Friday night of my summer vacation. So there.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?