Wednesday, July 28, 2004

 

Night Two of the Democratic National Convention

Well, today's report will not be as exhaustive as yesterday's because I didn't watch attentively for a number of reasons, which I'll get to momentarily.  Nevertheless, I do have some thoughts:

Notes on the Evening's Convention Line-Up:
1.  Ted Kennedy's comparison of W. to George III was awesome.  And even more awesome was that the Hardball Guy struggled when he was trying to say which king TK was comparing W. to in his post-speech "analysis" (if one can call what that guy does analysis).

2.  Gephardt, Dean, boring and watered down.

3.  I missed Obama's speech because I was talking on the phone like a 12-year-old.  I hear it was the best of the night.

4.  Go Teresa Heinz Kerry!  If you didn't bother watching her, I cannot articulate with words how great she is.  And (although I hate myself for commenting on this) she is stunning.  I cannot believe that woman is 67.  I wonder (and I hate myself for thinking this, let alone writing it) whether she's had plastic surgery?  This is just morbid curiosity on my part, and I will now shut up about the appearance of the potential next first lady, whom I love.  My favorite quote from her speech last night: 
"My only hope is that, one day soon, women, who have all earned their right to their opinions instead of being labeled opinionated will be called smart and well-informed, just like men."
 
Notes on why I didn't watch the convention attentively:
1.  I was finishing up (yay!) the chapter that I've been working on for my book manuscript!  Now only one additional chapter to write before I can start shopping the monstrosity to publishers (scary).  Part of me wishes I could reveal what I'm working on, but then the whole anonymity thing would go to hell in a handbasket.  Let's just say that the things I'm talking about in a funny way in this blog are not entirely unrelated to the scholarly side of my life.

2.  I was obsessing about the boy from last Thursday, let's call him.... Freud (teehee), because even though he said, "I'll call you," he has not.  I did not think that he would, in fact, call me, but there was a tiny part of me that thought he could potentially do so, and the fact that he has not means that no one in the whole world (except for one mental ex-boyfriend and this musician who lives in the town where I went to graduate school) loves me.  Woe is me.  Clearly I've not yet figured out how to resolve the whole mind/body split thing, as it always seems that I have no human contact when I'm writing - or at least no human contact that can be sustained for any period of time.

Yeah, so I guess that was all that distracted me from the convention, and it's not very exciting, but what is a girl to do? 

 



Comments:
Theresa Heinz Kerry has had botox. And she's been really open about it, too. :)
 
Ok, the fact that she's had Botox does explain the... smoothness of her face. And I'm glad she's been open about it (even though, apparently, I missed the memo. Must pay more intention to campaign gossip that has absolutely no bearing on whether Kerry will be a good president....)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?